LEGAZPI CITY, April 18 — Buried in the sidelines of the just concluded Palarong Pambansa 2016 in Albay province was the accidental electrocution of a blind female athlete of MIMAROPA Region 4-B for the special games.
Seventeen year old athlete Pamela Tabastabas was supposed to take part in the standing long jump in the Palaro.
Details reaching our newsdesk said that Pamela was electrocuted when she held a metal railing of the Jollibee food stand just beside the grandstand of the Albay Sports Complex about 8:30 in the morning of Wednesday.
The ahtlete was reported to be preparing for the game but went to the bath room first. She was feeling her way barefooted and touched the metal railing.
Onlookers present in the area saw Tabastabas jerked and quivered while someone rushed to put off the main electrical switch.
Tabastabas whose left arm and left body was numbed was rushed to the Bicol Regional Training and Teaching Hospital (BRTTH) for medical attention.
Attending medical team disallowed the athlete from taking part in the competition as BRTTH’s Dr. Eric Reburar disclosed it was automatic decision while the victim was placed under observation and undergo medical examination.
Earlier, Nika Vargas, a sales lady of another food stall, said she was also electrocuted on the railing but because she was wearing rubber shoes the effect was only mild.
Authorities believed that the cable attached to the food stand had a live wire touching the metal railing. The electrical connections were fixed later by the local power service provider.( Jorge Hallare of PNA contributed to this report.)
- Special games athlete electrocuted during Palarong Pambansa 2016
Latest posts by Jap Adupe (see all)
- MUST WATCH: ROBREDO review MILESTONES of her tenure as vice president - January 10, 2020
- FAREWELL: CARDINAL TAGLE from Archdiocese of Manila to influential VATICAN post - January 8, 2020
- Archbishop Tirona lead BICOLANOS in celebration of MIDNIGHT MASS before CHRISTMAS - December 24, 2019