More PH women prefer to work locally, but why the rush for OFW placement?

MANILA, May 5 — More PH women prefer to work locally, but why the rush for OFW placement? It is ironic that there are more Filipino women who prefers to find job in the home country, yet there is the rush to work as OFW because of dearth of available local jobs. Women accounted for the bulk of registrants for job vacancies in the local labor market, while men preferred overseas jobs, the Department of Labor and Employment said of last Labor Day job fairs in 56 venues in the country.

Department of Labor and Employment logo.
Department of Labor and Employment logo.

“There were 71,922 registered applicants for the Labor Day job fairs. There were more female registrants, 54.9 percent, or 39,485, than male registrants who accounted for 45.1 percent, or 32,437; and women, more than men, preferred jobs in the local labor market,” said DOLE Secretary Rosalinda Dimapilis- Baldoz after the Bureau of Local Employment submitted an initial report on the results of the May 1 nationwide job fairs.

The BLE reported that an overwhelming 79.22 percent of registered women applicants would like to work in the country rather than abroad and 55.3 percent of them applied for local jobs. Registered male applicants who expressed preference to work abroad reached 55.3 percent of whom 51 percent did apply for vacant overseas jobs.

Baldoz noted from the report that for this year’s Labor Day job fairs, about three out of four registered applicants (74.74 percent) were qualified or were referred for outright job interview.

Baldoz noted that one of five applicants, or 19.3 percent, was a qualified overseas applicant, while the remaining four applicants, or 80.7 percent, were qualified local jobseekers. More females, 58.1 percent, were qualified for local employment than males, 41.9 percent, but conversely, more males, 52.9 percent, were qualified for overseas positions.

“Almost eighty percent interviewees were aiming for local positions, while the remaining 20.7 percent were aspiring for overseas jobs. Again, women (59.2 percent) tended to get interviewed more for local positions than the men 40.8 percent. For overseas, it was the other way around as more males (54.3 percent) were interviewed than their female counterpart (45.7 percent).


One thought on “More PH women prefer to work locally, but why the rush for OFW placement?”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *