This time, have you noticed the news from Manila Standard Today about the “Ship sinks off Bohol, 2 killed, 12 missing” posted on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:02am and bylined by Joel E. Zurbano? Another clear and present error of the news desk or whoever was responsible of checking the veracity of the news.
And since their version of the news was already that stale, a thorough check could have been averted including the details.
The Masbate RORO sea mishap published on our pages here: Forty Passengers Rescued, 2 Die off Masbate RORO Sea Mishap, which so far have been updated with a comment post on the news article.
Ship sinks off Bohol, 2 killed, 12 missing
By Joel E. Zurbano | Posted on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:02am | 134 views
Two passengers were killed and 12 others went missing when a roll-on, roll-off vessel with 64 people on board sank in the waters off Burias Island in Bicol early Friday morning on its way to Masbate, officials said.
The MV Our Lady of Mount Carmel, owned and operated by Medallion Transport in Cebu, capsized and sank some three hours after setting sail from Pio Duran in Albay around 2:30 a.m.
The Coast Guard said 43 people had been rescued so far, and of those 31 were passengers and 12 were crew members including the ship’s captain Lauro Mateo.
The same day that the Carmel sank, a foreign cargo vessel of Panamanian registry ran aground off Sambawan Island in Mapipi, Biliran, around 5:30 a.m., the Philippine Information Agency said.
Quoting the Office of Civil Defense, the agency’s director, Erlinda Olive Tiu, said coast guards proceeded to the island and conducted a survey for an oil spill but found none.
The ship had Vietnamese crewmen, and at 3 p.m. at high tide it was brought to Naval for an investigation.
Coast Guard spokesman Armand Balilo said the 98.46-ton Carmel left Pio Duran with its 64 passengers, 22 crew members, two passenger buses and a cargo truck on board.
Reports said one of the buses on board came loose from its moorings and caused the boat to lose its balance, tilt and then sink.
“[The ship’s captain] said it happened so quickly,” regional civil defense chief Raffy Alejandrino said.
“It just went down in darkness.”
Commandant Rear Admiral Rodolfo Isorena dispatched a helicopter and Coast Guard divers and maritime doctors on board the search-and-rescue vessels BRP Pampanga and MCS-3006 to search for the missing passengers.
He said Navy and commercial vessels were also helping the Coast Guard in its search-and-rescue operation.
“My order is not to stop until the passengers and crew are all accounted for,” Isorena said.
“The reports are very sketchy, so we still don’t know why the ship sank. It was not overloaded. The manifest showed there were 35 passengers and 22 crew members.”