Supreme Court of the Philippines (SCOTP) Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno said they will use the high court’s disciplinary powers to punish judges and court personnel engaged in corrupt practices.
While recognizing that corruption is an obstacle to development Sereno sees it as a complex problem which has to be confronted through a variety of independent initiatives to strengthen integrity and prevent opportunities for corruption among members of the judiciary.
The chief magistrate considers one strength in the battle against corruption is the Supreme Court’s use of its disciplinary powers.
Bad eggs in the bench from 2012 to the present:
- 12 judges and 1 Sandiganbayan justice dismissed
- 13 suspended
- 88 fined
- 18 reprimanded
- 31 admonished
- 3 forfeited benefits
Bad eggs in the bar from 2012 to the present:
- 31 lawyers have also been disbarred
- 194 suspended from the practice of law
- 30 suspended from the practice of law and notarial practice
- 8 suspended from notarial practice
- 32 reprimanded; three fined and reprimanded
- 80 admonished; two censured
- 6 warned
- 313 fined and warned
- 16 ordered arrested
- 1 dropped and stricken off the roll of attorneys
- 716 penalized lawyers since 2012.
Bad eggs in lower court (employees) since 2010:
- 42 admonished
- 35 forfeited the benefits
- 2 censured
- 116 dismissed from service
- 240 fined 240
- 221 reprimanded
- 227 suspended 227
Sereno added that three of the most famous administrative investigations have been done “on our own initiative, or motu proprio, without a formal complainant”.
She said she will be proposing more proactive and preventive measures against corruption.
”It is true that our people must have a reason to trust its government. That is why the
The Chief Justice added the judiciary has been working harder than ever before.
“My earnest request is that our four-year effort to reform the judiciary and the justice system, and to bring about an era of honest service by the members of the bench and bar, be supported in the same way that any genuine reform effort in whatever sector must be supported. We have only one country to serve,” she said.
Video: The Chief Justice meets the press 2016:
Latest posts by Sr. Editorial Staff Nation News (see all)
- ROBREDO: Duterte’s DRUG WAR 99% FAILURE! - January 6, 2020
- Social News Network Rappler CEO Maria Ressa arrested for cyber libel - February 14, 2019
- Bong Revilla off the hook on pork barrel fund plunder case - December 7, 2018