After Paris attacks will security measures for APEC leaders’ summit be enough?
QUEZON CITY, Nov. 15 – Will the Islamic State terror attacks in Paris on Friday have a resounding effect on the upcoming Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit on November 18 to 19 in Manila in terms of security preparation?
During the weekly Kapihan sa Media ng Bayan, Armed Forces of the Philippines spokesperson Col. Restituto F. Padilla, Jr. said preparations began when the country first hosted the APEC Summit in 1996. He said those in-charge of peace and order and security now also took part in the preparations then. He added that security measures put in place during last year’s visit by Pope Francis were also part of preparations for this year’s APEC summit.
The government and those involved in security and intelligence surveillance operatives are continuously monitoring possible threats to security during the conduct of APEC economic leaders meeting week.
“Base sa ating mga nakukuhang monitoring at sensing of environment, wala naman po tayong serious na banta sa ating mga bisitang darating,” Padilla said.“Kung nakita ninyo po, wala naman tayong nabalitaan na masamang nangyari noong nakaraang mga buwan.”
He added that security preparations revolve around a “zero risk, zero incident” goal. “Ang aming motto sa security task force ay zero risk, zero incident, yan ang ating hinahabol. Kaya lahat ng ating preparasyon ay nakabase para ma-achieve natin iyan.”
The Security Task Force foresees series of protests and rallies during the economic leaders meeting week that is why they have devoted particular areas or ‘freedom parks’ for protesters to exercise and voice out their objections.
Padilla said, “Ang AFP at kapulisan ay sinisugurado na mae-exercise nila (protesters) ang right na iyan pero may mga alituntunin tayo na dapat sundin.”
In areas outside of freedom parks, protesters would only be allowed to hold protests after securing a permit from their local government.
Padilla called on the protesters to follow the guidelines of the Security Task Force. “Hinihiling namin sa mga magpoprotesta na dumaan sa tamang paraan,” he said. “Maximum tolerance po ang ipatutupad ng ating gobyerno.”
Latest posts by Bicol Street Journalist (see all)
- DANGEROUS TIME: Movie on the ASSASINATION of Benigno Aquino, Jr. - October 8, 2019
- LIVESTREAM Penafrancia Fluvial Procession 2019 - September 21, 2019
- THROWBACK: Peñafrancia foot and fluvial procession of 2018 - September 19, 2019