The province of Albay will be the venue of at least 10 out of the 63 ministerial meetings of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit that will be hosted by the Philippines in 2015, according to Albay Gov. Joey Sarte Salceda.
The announcement was made during the donning of rank on Salceda as a reserved officer of the Philippine Air Force held Friday afternoon at the Tactical Operations Group 5 at the Legazpi Airport compound here.
During the occasion, the Albay governor, now also called Lt. Col. Jose Ma. Clemente Sarte Salceda, PAFR, rallied the officers and men of PAF, Philippine Army, Philippine Navy and Philippine National Police to assist in the maintenance of peace and security during the various high-level meetings of the APEC summit.
“The top-level meetings of the APEC that Albay will host would not only be 10, as the National Organizing Council (NOC) is still evaluating the qualifications of the bidders in the hosting of the various meetings,” Salceda said.
The NOC is headed by Foreign Undersecretary Laura del Rosario, who said they are choosing from among several sites including Metro Manila, Boracay, Cebu, Davao, Tagaytay and Albay.
The APEC Summit, said to be the biggest and most high profile annual meeting of world leaders in October or November, would include world leaders as US President Barack Obama, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Chinese Xi Jinping.
It will be hosted by President Benigno S. Aquino III before his term ends in June 2016.
The criteria for the selection of the venues include facilities and infrastructure, security and public safety, power and water conditions, and availability of medical services.
The decision on the final APEC hosting venues will be made within this month of June.
Albay is the only province that entered a bid on Tuesday last week. (From reports of PNA-Bicol)
Latest posts by Editorial Staff Regions (see all)
- Eco-airport of Bohol Panglao International opens for commercial flights - November 30, 2018
- Award for Mocha came from alumni group, not from UST - January 22, 2018
- Delos Santos stays as BuCor chief despite resignation, but for a while - July 17, 2017