MANILA, Oct. 12 (PNA) – President Rodrigo Duterte insisted on Wednesday that there will be no more military exercises between the Philippines and the United States next year.
President Duterte made this statement during the 115th anniversary of the Philippine Coast Guard in its headquarters in Port Area in Manila.
”There will be no more exercises next year. I told Defense Secretary (Delfin) Lorenzana, do not make preparations for next year. I do not want it anymore. I will chart an independent foreign policy,” Duterte said.
President Duterte, however, clarified that the Philippines will not break its alliance with the United States.
”We need not really, you know, break or abrogate existing treaties because they say that it could provide us with the umbrella,” President Duterte said.
”I ask you frankly, give me your answer from your rank. We will maintain our military alliance because I said, they say, that we need it for our defense,” he added.
President Duterte had previously said the US-PHL military exercise this month will be the last. (PNA)
Now watch related video below- 115th Philippine Coast Guard Anniversary with Pres. Duterte:
Note that the president begins his speech at video timeline beginning 34.47 only.
Latest posts by Sr. Editorial Staff Nation News (see all)
- ROBREDO: Duterte’s DRUG WAR 99% FAILURE! - January 6, 2020
- Social News Network Rappler CEO Maria Ressa arrested for cyber libel - February 14, 2019
- Bong Revilla off the hook on pork barrel fund plunder case - December 7, 2018